Friday 25 September 2015

A First Time for Everything

Earlier this year we were discussing possible autumn marathons, and I mentioned that I was thinking of applying for Berlin.  Frank said that Karlsruhe was a cracking German city, with a really well-organised flat and scenic course.  That seed took root and before long a group of us were sitting in Hallhill after training one evening to discuss a possible club trip, and agreeing that we’d go for it.  Typically, I went home and signed up there and then – my total lack of German no obstacle to a registration on a German language website. Frau Williamson Nick, aged 90, was on the entry list!

And so it came to pass that six members of the club gathered at 7am on Saturday morning in Edinburgh Airport – Anne, Stuart,  Jennifer, Karen, Frank and me, plus Jo in her capacity as official cheerleader, kit-carrier and round-getter-inner.


From left: Frank, Stuart, Anne, Karen, Jennifer, me




I thought we were going to Germany?









Coals to Newcastle


Meaty Swiss cakes


The World's surliest barista (back)








The Tetris Building




A quick flight to Basel was followed by a bus and then high-speed train to Karslruhe, arriving at our hotel at around 3pm, with plenty of time to get to registration and collect our numbers.


Plaques on the pavement commemorating the 4,000 Jews living in Karlsruhe who were displaced or murdered during WW2






Still going strong on the continent - should have taken orders for pants...


Frank has family in the local area, and so was staying with his cousin Joschi, who became our 8th man and “guide”.  We arranged to meet them at 6pm in our hotel foyer to head out for some pizza and pasta (Karlsruhe being blessed with quite a large Italian population).  Frank and Joschi arrived at 7pm, having wetted their whistles beforehand.  This became a running joke over the trip.


After several hours of aimless wandering expert guiding on rapidly tiring legs, and with rumbling stomachs, there was a real whiff of mutiny in the air.  I honestly thought that Jen was going to sit down on the pavement and refuse to take another step.  Desperate measures were required so I ran down a side street on impulse and completely lucked out – finding a perfectly serviceable (and reasonable!) restaurant.  Crisis averted and spirits were soon restored.






After an uncharacteristically long and sound pre-marathon sleep (this would be my fifth marathon so perhaps the nerves are diminishing slightly), I awoke and got changed.  After a quick team photo (minus Frank) in the foyer, we made our way to the start.




After my marathon failures* at Edinburgh and Amsterdam in 2014, my hope for the race was that I’d go sub-3, but I felt I would be happy enough with a low-3 that improved on my PB.  And that was what I had been telling everyone beforehand – trying to downplay things as much as possible, conscious that I didn't want to look foolish if I came back with my tail between my legs.  I kept saying that a good marathon (what would I know about that?!) is made up of a lot of different factors, and that any one element on the day could be the difference between success and failure.  But my training had gone well, the course was flat, and the weather could not have been more perfect – overcast, cool and with barely a breath of wind.  I didn't really have anywhere to hide.  And GOD did I want a sub-3! Previous precedent was not good though – cruising along nicely at target pace at both of Edinburgh and Amsterdam (and actually enjoying Amsterdam) before blowing up spectacularly after half way.  I worried that this was because I was going off too fast at the start, and so had toyed with the idea of starting conservatively and building into it in the second half.  But that is simply not my style – I almost always fade as the race goes on, so tend to need a cushion.






On the start line I decided to stand close to Stuart and the pacer with the 2:59 pennant.   We appeared to be outnumbered around 4 or 5 to 1 by half marathon runners.  I floated along in the slipstream of the gaggle of 2:59 hopefuls for the first mile.  Then Stuart came past.  Prompting me to immediately rip up my plan and break free of the 2:59ers.  



Karlsruhe's flag




The next few miles took us out along a dual carriageway towards Durlach.  Durlach was apparently the local capital until a dispute between the prince and his citizens prompted him to throw his toys out the pram, and move his capital – founding Karlsruhe in 1715 and building himself a grand palace (or “Schloss”) for good measure.  Stuart pulled out about 150 metres on me over the first 5 miles, but I was comforted that he was still in sight, the 2:59ers were still behind me, and I still felt in good fettle.  






There then came quite a nice long section of woodland paths, with occasional suburban streets, from around 6 to 11 miles – my favourite part of the course, all things considered.  I’d noticed that the gap to Stuart had started to reduce again, and at around 9 miles was close enough to him going up a footbridge over a main road to say loudly, “who put this f*cking hill here?”  He looked round and seemed pleased enough to see me - “oh, it’s you!”  




The combination of Stuart’s company, frequent entertainment (at times dubious – elderly belly dancers are not everyone’s cup of tea!), unfamiliar and varied scenery, and enthusiastic crowds meant that the first half went by relatively painlessly.  Not long before the half way point we passed a sign declaring 41km – the course route involving two irregular overlapping loops.  Stuart and I agreed that that was a little cruel.  Approaching the point at which the half-marathoners split off towards their finish, there were a good number of supporters and a guy on a PA who gave a name check to Stuart and me, albeit he had a couple of goes at saying “Stuart” and still didn't nail it.

The field suddenly became a whole lot more sparse after the split – on a straight of 200 metres we were lucky if we could see 3 or 4 runners ahead of us.  I don’t remember a huge amount of the next part of the course, so think it must have been largely nondescript.  Or maybe this is just a sign that I was beginning to flag a little, and was retreating into my head so as to preserve vital resources.  There was a definitely a lot less in the way of high-fiving kids, applauding dancers, and giving thumbs up to people shouting “gut gemacht Nick!”  I took my one caffeine gel at 17 miles and waited for the boost to kick in.

What there was a lot more of, unfortunately, was foot/cycle bridges over busy roads.  The upslopes were not welcome but still manageable.  The downslopes however were causing worrying sensations in my hamstrings.  Please don’t let cramp scupper me…

Stuart didn't seem to be particularly enjoying the bridges either.  One of them (the 4th or 5th I think), at around the 19 mile mark, caused the first little gap to appear between us.






The course entered the (extensive) garden grounds surrounding the Schloss at around the 20 mile mark.  Reaching the 32km marker at 2h12m on my watch, the mental calculations began.  My Garmin was making positive noises about my average pace, but I think it is prone to exaggerate distance and therefore over-egg the pace.  But if at 9am someone had offered me the chance to run a 47 minute 10k to secure my first ever sub-3 marathon, I’d have bitten their hand off.  And then had the other hand for dessert.




In absolute terms the Schloss is close to the finish line.  However, the course snaked around the gardens, passing the same points on several occasions.  We kept crossing a blue ceramic line in the ground, and also a narrow gauge railway line.  I can understand the organisers desire to make the most of such an attractive feature of the city, but my perception of it was akin to water torture or a death by a thousand cuts. 

And it was at 21 miles that the run really turned for me. Up until that point I had felt strong and had gradually grown in confidence.  Those feelings of strength and confidence suddenly evaporated, as my legs began to feel like lumps of lead trying to pass through treacle.  Maybe I could have a walk?  Just a little one?   NOOOO!!!!! DO NOT F*CK THIS UP NOW YOU IDIOT!!!

At times I think the mental aspect can be my biggest stumbling block.  I certainly think that it was the main factor in my failures at Edinburgh and Amsterdam.  That was part of the reason I wanted to do ultras this year – recalibrating my brain to think of 26 miles as, well if not short, then at least a distance I was used to doing and exceeding.  I tried to remind myself of that at half way when I said to Stuart that, “at least we only had 13 miles to go rather than the 40 it would be if we were doing the Fling”.

This time I was determined to rage against the dying of the light.  I told myself that as sore as it might seem to keep going, it would seem a whole hell of a lot worse to have built this platform and let it slip away.  And even worse to have to start all over again at a subsequent marathon, with additional mental scarring.

I told myself that I had 40 minutes in which to complete the final 5 miles.  Come on, you can manage 8 minute miles to get home! For something to do, I unwrapped the dextrose tablet that I’d been handed by a girl on a stall near the start.

Eventually we were spat back out onto the roads in the centre of town.  But there was a fair bit of twisting and turning here as well.  It became a question of just following that blue line on the ground, and ticking off the remaining miles.  As slow as I felt, this didn't translate to the times on the watch – slower 6s, followed by a few low 7s.  Each mile accomplished at better than 8s increasing the reserves in the bank. 

But I was at the point where tiny things could upset me.  Out of nowhere I became super-aware of the tiny waist-pack I was wearing to carry my gel and the dextrose tablet.  On the spur of the moment I undid the catch and let it fall to the ground in the middle of the street.  A couple of spectators thought it was accidental and tried to draw my attention to it, but I just waved them away.

At 39km, it actually began to dawn on me that I was going to do it.  Do something that means a huge deal to me.  Even before I made the decision to get back into running, a sub-3 marathon was a yardstick.  And it was the headline goal floating around my head once I’d started running again and I’d begun to think about what my goals (even my most unrealistic and ambitious ones) should be.  It was a shorthand for describing someone at club to Jo.  “He’s a good runner – he’s done a sub-3”.  Not, “he’s done a 35 minute 10km”.  I wondered whether I’d cry as I crossed the line.








I didn't though.  Strangely, I barely even managed to raise a smile as I finished.  Instead I simply stopped my watch, checked that my time started with a 2 (2:58:01), and shuffled off to collect my medal.  The elation would come later.  








I quickly found Jennifer, Karen and Frank, who had all completed their halfs at better than their target times – very well done.  Stuart came in shortly after – finishing in an agonising 3:00:15.  He was disappointed at first, but was 2nd M50, and he has of course already done a 2:55 at Edinburgh this year, so there is no need to feel too sorry for him!

Sadly Anne had to withdraw at around the 20 mile mark due to illness, but she was philosophical about it, I think recognising that it was the right thing to do.

After a good few non-alcoholic beers in “Runners Heaven” (not nearly enough post-race sausage and alcohol-inclusive beer to justify that name as far as I was concerned), and an appointment with the press (Stuart may yet appear in the local Karlsruhe rag), we made our way out of the stadium to find Jo and Joschi. 

Jennifer had a sudden crash which forced her to head back to the hotel, but the rest of us followed in line between Joschi and asked him to proceed without delay to the nearest hostelry.  Which was a classic.  It was like stumbling back into the 70s – the owner, the regular patrons, the cigarette smoke, and the nudey calendar on the wall all looked straight out of Life on Mars. But the first real beer of the weekend was sweet reward.

After a freshen up back at the hotel (which for me involved emptying the contents of the minibar - beer, soft drinks, crisps, nuts, chocolate and all – onto the floor of the bathroom, and working my way steadily through it all while having my bath), we met up in the bar to start the celebrations.  After the customary Frank and Joschi delay, we made our way out to paint the town red.

Involving, first, a folk festival in the park beside the Natural History Museum.  A folk festival that featured the Galloway Dancers, a Scottish country dancing society, “all the way from Nottingham”! The stalls serving generous portions of curry-wurst, steins of cold foamy beer, glasses of wine, cocktails, pastries and more were fantastic though.

When that finished we went off in search of more bars.  We passed any number of suitable looking candidates, including some really quaint looking bistros on small squares with outside table and blankets, but Joschi kept dismissing them as “too expensive”, or “too nice”.  We ended up in a pretty dingy “Sports Bar”, but were all past caring by that point.  Plenty of alcohol led to plenty of laughs, including Frank’s story about the time that he “woke up in a cherry tree”.  It’s well worth getting him to tell it.


Drinking with Walter White...


And his sidekick Jessie/Joschi




I woke early the next morning and decided to take my hangover out for a walk while Jo slept.  It was interesting to pick my way through the town, encountering blue lines on the roads and paths, and struggling to remember having run over any of it the previous day.  






We're all going to the Zoo today, the Zoo today...


Fire Station




Natural History Museum


The morning after the Folk Festival


Catholic church




Schloss just about visible in the distance






















That bloody blue ceramic line...


And that narrow gauge railway...


Another of those blue lines...














A fine establishment, stocking up after the Scots had drunk it dry!














In the afternoon, Anne, Stuart, Jo and I (Jennifer and Karen having had to head home, and Frank and Joschi “otherwise engaged”) had a very pleasant trip to the Karlsruhe Zoo – a cross between a botanical gardens and a zoo.  A tremendous place, and a real asset to the town.  That night’s meal saw us go to an excellent tapas restaurant.  Towards the end Frank said that he was going to try to take it easy for his final couple of days.  And then said that he was travelling up to see another cousin.  With Joschi tagging along as driver.  Good luck with that Frank!



Jo was delighted that we had our own "Poirot-style" carriage

Summing up then.  My first time in Switzerland, my first time in Germany, and my first time under 3 hours in a marathon.  Not a bad old weekend.  It just remains to be seen whether my first sub-3 will be my last marathon – the box having been ticked.

(* I should say that, when I use the term "failure", I simply mean my inability to achieve my own goal and the disappointment and self-loathing that resulted.  I realise that you will have your own goals which may bear no relation to mine.  There is certainly no slight intended if you have not, and have no desire to, run a sub-3.  By the same token, there are likely to be people reading this who will regard 2:58 as positively pedestrian, and will ask what all of my fuss is about!)

No comments:

Post a Comment